CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Bow Bags and Craigslist and Delivery Guys, Oh My!

Hello all! Whew, the holiday rush is over. We can all breathe again. And re-watch episodes of Criminal Minds that we half ignored while trying to prepare for the holiday season, and are seriously bummed out by this. Wait, maybe that's just me.

I would like to start by welcoming the awesome newest reader to the blog, Amber. Let's all give her a very warm welcome and show her around blogger a little, if she would like us to. And by all, I mean the three of us, but that's okay because we have enough good thoughts and love for about three hundred and eighty three people. That may just be an estimate, but I think I'm pretty right on.

Just a few short stories for you all before we move on to the showcase of things I made for Christmas. I feel like such a show boat right now. Feel free to break off my heel so that I walk funny and become a horrible show boater. I'll understand.

Today we had something delivered to the house. Delivery people are unintentionally some of the funniest people around, and you never know what you're going to get from them. Today we got a very special individual who was very tall, extremely skinny and lanky, pale, blonde haired and walked with a swagger. Yep, it was great up until that last point. You had to hold in your laughter every time he walked by, but he has made my list of favorite people because he was funny. Even if it wasn't on purpose, I take all the funny I can get. I promise I'm not really picking on him. Just picture this for me though. You understand now why I had to share, don't you? Uh huh.

Also, my cat is a bed groupie. She fell in love with my bed and she will not leave it alone. If you try to sit by her or move her, she gets very angry and yells. Am I supposed to take this as a hint?

As you all know, I don't do well on Craigslist. It's like I'm this big, flashing neon light that crazies just skip right into, straight jackets and all. I don't know how this happened. Actually, I do know how this happened. I'm dumb enough to post stuff on Craigslist knowing I have this beacon rotating over my head, so I basically walk right into it. Today was no exception. Some guy emailed me wanting to know if I, the seller, was a female. He couldn't care less about what I was selling. He probably wasn't even interested in it. He just wanted to know if I was a female. I figured it best not to answer him. That's creepy. Although it was tempting to tell him that I am a football playing hermaphrodite, who works as a part time cop and carries a gun.

I did, however, get a nice email from a girl who is genuinely interested in my furniture and wants to come see it tomorrow. If she shows up or not is another story, but I liked her because she knew how to use punctuation, form a sentence, and spell. This is a first for me on Craigslist. Eventually, I have a feeling that Craigslist is going to get its own tag on my blog. That's scary and there should never be a reason for that, unless, of course, you are a site about nothing but Craigslist stupidity.

Now, on to the pretty little things. As you all know, this was a very stressful crafty Christmas for me, but I pulled it off. As promised, I am going to share with you what I made. I'm going to start with these adorable little bow bags. I found the tutorial online, but I personally found the directions difficult to follow. They took me longer than I thought they would because of that, but I got them done and the pattern and bags are amazing. If you would like to know how to make these bags, please let me know and I will point you in the right direction. As I said, I personally found the original instructions to be a bit confusing, so if you need any clarification or super tedious step-by-steps, please let me know. (Edit: The author of this tutorial chose to post a comment calling me all kinds of names because I said her tutorial was difficult to follow. I'm sorry I offended her. It was probably me, and it was no offense to her to say I personally found something difficult to follow.)

The first purse is the one I made for Aunt Bev. It was made with leftover acetone material from my bedroom curtains.

The bow came from a spool I bought at Joanne's. It's a simple translucent gold to match the gold fireflies in the material.

The inside was made from material I also found at Joanne's. It's a tan patchwork upholstery material, which added a nice, vintage look, to a sleek and trendy bag.

This purse is the one I made from my mom. For this one I bought upholstery fabric.

The bow was also a Joanne's find.

The inside of the purse was made from a silk blend liner material. The iridescence really sets the purse off, doesn't it?

Because these purses came out cuter than I had expected, I had to make myself one. Instead of using fancy materials like I had with the other ones, I went for regular cotton.

One of my favorite things about this purse is that I switched it up with the handle. Instead of making the handle completely out of the outer fabric, I used some liner fabric for one side of it, and the outer fabric for another. Then, when I put it on, I put the liner fabric sunny side up to add character and a bit of whimsy and vintage aura to the bag.

The bow, believe it or not, was used to tie my mom's Christmas present that she got at work together. The liner was made out of a the reverse pattern of the outside fabric. Instead of the fabric being blue with white birds, the inner fabric is white with blue birds. I think using the reverse fabric gave the purse a little kick that it needed.


One thing that all the purses had, but I didn't take a picture of with the other ones, are buttons on the sides where the handle is being held on. For this purse I used two different buttons to add to the character and vintage look. Both were pink, just two different shades.



Each purse has one 6x6 pocket inside for your lip gloss and other cute things we girls like. You can also loosen and tighten the bow to allow for more or less room at the top of the purse. Someone would have to physically untie the bow to get into it, so it's pretty thieft proof. By the time they had it halfway done, you could be beating them with it. I know, violence isn't the answer.

If anyone would like to make any of these, please let me know. I will send you a clarified, more easy to follow tutorial than the one you will find online. And if you can't understand it, I am here to offer help at any time.

No comments: