CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Good Girls Go Bad - The Boy Who Played Games and Didn't Hear No ~ Part 2

I want to start out by apologizing to all of you for taking a few days to put this up. I intended on putting this up the day after I posted the first part, but I haven't had a chance for several reasons. This is all stuff I will elaborate on later, but for the time being, I'll give you a little taste of what the last few days has been like.

I used to believe in coincidences, but after this week, I no longer do. In the same day I had both an incident involving the memory of my grandma in a very ironic, deep, personal way. I also had an incident involving Friend, which has sent my mind spinning in a hundred different directions. At the same time as everything seems to be a coincidence, I just don't know how it can be. I feel like the universe is trying to tell me something.

On top of that, my father is back in town. Oh yeah, the one I've told you all about. The one who I will call the cops on so fast if he even gets within twenty feet of our property. He has been living out of state for several years, but I've been forewarned he was back and looking for me. Unfortunately he knows where to find me. I'm not playing around with him. I will call the cops. Period.

The doctor's think they have a partial diagnosis for me, but there's more to it than just saying I do or do not have it. The condition is coming up in my tests on my digestive system, but being as my digestive doctor is not an autoimmune doctor he can not diagnose it, even though it's pretty clear what's going on. I have to wait until October to see his wife, who is also my autoimmune doctor, for an official diagnosis. For now, I have some testing coming up Friday. And thankfully, the pending diagnosis is not life threatening, which is terrific considering they thought I had the life threatening version of this condition initially.

So basically that's been the outline of the last few days for me. There's about a million more things I could say, but it's easier just to leave it at that. Like I said, I will elaborate on all of this later. I just wanted you all to know that I wasn't being lazy with not posting the rest of this story.

This post is a continuation of the previous post. If you haven’t read it yet, I would suggest doing that before you read this, or this will make no sense.

The next day, my mom was taking Mike out to show him houses. Now, keep in mind that, as I mentioned earlier, I had not gone with him for two weeks because I was sick. That was the real reason, and I had told him this exact reason. So, as a person at home trying to catch up on some emails and other web correspondence, I logged on Facebook around the time my mom had told me they were meeting at the office to look at houses. Imagine my surprise when I saw him logged on to Facebook. I knew he didn’t have the internet on his phone, so I called my mom to make sure he was there, and if he wasn’t, like I suspected, to let her know that he was obviously going to be late, because THE DUDE WAS ON FACEBOOK.

Of course he wasn’t there. I had wanted to delete him off of Facebook, but I kept him on because my mom asked me to at least try to keep some civilized contact with him. Isn’t it sad when you listen to your mom to try to help her sale a house? Quite frankly, it made me feel skeevy, because I’m not that kind of person. If you become creepy and I don’t want anything to do with you, I’m not going to pretend to so my mom can sell a house. Ultimately, I didn’t pretend to, I just continued to tell him no, instead of telling him to stick it up his you know what. This was unique for me.

I logged off of Facebook to keep myself from flipping out at him and angrily telling him that HE was the one who made the time to meet with my mom and if HE doesn’t have enough courtesy to actually SHOW UP at that time, then he should call her and let her know.

A few minutes later, out of the blue, I get a text from him saying, “You’re going to surprise me and show up today, aren’t you? Are you already there waiting for me?” I had NO idea where this came from. He had already known I wasn’t feeling well, plus I had told him repeatedly that I wasn’t and one hundred percent would NOT be there that night. Again with him thinking I was kidding about something, but why he thought I was showing up when I hadn’t in two weeks for the same reason was totally beyond me. He texted me again about me kidding with him and I ignored it.

My mom let me know that he did finally show up...close to a half an hour late. This is where we’re going to get into a whole other story, so I shall explain that before I tell you what happened next.

A few months earlier, when Mike was acting normal and I adored him, I lent him two DVDs. One was The Amityville Horror, and the other was the whole first season of Supernatural. He had wanted to borrow them and I didn’t see a problem with it. Then, as time went by, he would complain he was bored and going to rent a movie. As it turned out, he wasn’t watching what I had lent him, but instead going and getting other movies. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. If you ask someone if you can borrow movies off of them, for goodness sake, please watch them. I’m not saying you have to watch them immediately, but try to watch them in a decent amount of time and don’t rent a ton of other movies because you’re bored and then tell them about it.

Close to two months had gone by and he still had, and then he started getting uber creepy. I asked him for them back nicely. He asked me why I wanted them back and I told him the simple answer, which was because they were mine and he had had them for two months, and all he did was watch four episodes of Supernatural and rent other movies on a consistent basis. This wasn’t a good enough answer for him. He came back with telling me that I lent them to him, which I guess to him meant he could have them for four years if necessary. I don’t really know where he was going with that, so I rolled my eyes and then I think they popped out of my head in anger.

Normally I can handle things like this myself, but I am a horrible liar, so I asked my mom what to do. She was stumped for a moment, and it seriously took the two of us to come up with telling him that I was having a girls get together and we wanted to watch those movies, and since they were mine, we had every right to watch them. Seriously, this is how little we lie. It took both of us to come up with that, and then I felt bad telling him that since it wasn’t true, even though it was only over instant messenger. And let’s not forget that I was sick and really didn’t want anyone here, so yeah, bad lie. We suck at it. We’re fine with that.

I told him this, stressing that my one friend who was coming was a fan of Supernatural and hadn’t seen the first few episodes, so I especially needed that DVD back. To be honest, I wasn’t worried about ever seeing the other one again, but Supernatural I wanted back, which is why we decided to go with that story. And for future reference, I still have this IM too, plus the following texts, because I feel like I haven’t heard the last of him, and I feel like I may need to protect myself.

Finally, with a reason other than “they’re mine” in tact, he had agreed to give the movies back to my mom when he saw her to house hunt that night, Right after my mom let me know he was at her office, he texts me and tells me that he “had my movies to give to my mom.” Movies. Plural. In text. All was well and good.

Another forty five minutes to an hour passes and things get interesting. As if they could get anymore. Mike asks me if, since he’s returning my DVDs, if he was invited to girls night that he was returning the DVDs for. I told him no. He asks why / begs. I tell him no again, it’s just for girls. Plus, as you all know, there was no girls night. I just wanted my freaking DVDs back, since he didn’t want to give them back just because they were mine.

He then asks if he’ll be getting them back after girls night. WHAT THE DUCK? WHO DOES THAT? No, they’re my movies and you didn’t watch them, so I want them back! I had to lie to you just to get them back! That’s what I wanted to say. Instead I lied and said yes, because at this point, I didn’t want to give him a reason to not give them back. Even though he said he had them to give to my mom, something smelled fishy.

Mike proceeds to text me and tell me that, on Saturday, the night I had lied to him and told him I was having a girl get together, that my mom and her friend Charlene were having a Chuck Norris movie night also at our house, and he was invited and coming to that. He said my mom invited him.

There were several issues with this. One, there was no girls night, so she would have never told him that there was, and then she and her friend were having a Chuck Norris night on top of it. Two, my mom wouldn’t have invited him, because she knew how creepy he was becoming. Three, and this was the only one I could bring up to him at this time; we only have one TV. Uh huh. Yeah. Which he knew, because he had been here before. Plus our house is super small and there is no way we could fit two parties of people in here. I politely pointed out that my mom would have never done that since we didn’t have two TVs. He kept insisting she did. I ignored that notion as best as I could.

Big surprise, he then texts me again and tells me that he “forgot my Supernatural DVD.” I was livid at this point, realizing he had just attempted to play a game with me. When I pointed out that an hour ago he told me he had it, he denied it. Hello, buddy, you TEXTED me this, so denying it isn’t really an option. I had the text.

I knew what was coming next, but I tried to grin and bear it. He tried every single way to worm into how I could get the movie off of him. I, again, told him that I was sick and I was not getting together with him that week. When he wouldn’t back down, I told him that he had borrowed the movies, and it was his responsibility to get them back to my mom as promised, and as he told me he had just an hour before. I hate games. This was clearly one. Normally I would be a little more lenient and just get together with the person and get them, but considering that it was clear he had done this on purpose, I wasn’t about to play ball. The response I got to telling him getting the movies back to my mom was his responsibility? “Okay, whatever.” In guy talk that meant I’d never see my movies again unless I got together with him and I knew it.

At this point, I had had it. He KNEW that Supernatural was specifically the DVD I had wanted back. I told him this through an IM, and then told him several other times so he wouldn’t forget it, and yet that’s the one he conveniently “forgot.” I wasn’t buying it. I wasn’t buying it for one minute and I was ready to tell him that, but then I realized I had something better. He was in the car with my mom and his house was near her office. If you want to play games with someone, make sure you don’t play them when you’re IN THE CAR WITH THEIR MOM! Hello!

I called my mom and told her the situation. As soon as I told her what was going on, she basically told me that he was doing it on purpose. I didn’t know what was up, but I knew something was with as quickly as she told me she’d get them back that night, and hung up. It was more than them just being together, because she had hustled away from him to talk to me.

When my mom came home, she had both movies. She then began to regal me with a tale of her own. She brought up how he was acting weird and kept bringing me up, and it was clear to her he had no interest in looking at houses that night, that he just wanted to see me. She knew I had told him I wouldn’t be there, and she was starting to catch on that he wasn’t actually looking for a house, but that he was trying to get closer to me. I had suspected this for a good while, especially when he started getting angry that I was sick and couldn’t go with him. I told him I would help him look if I could, but there would be times I wouldn’t be going. After all, it wasn’t my job to help him look for a house, but I was trying to be a good friend.

She then started to tell me that they were looking at a house right down the road from his and passed the road to his house to get to it. She had mentioned they could just stop there while going past, and he wouldn’t have it. She took him back to the office when they were done, and then again offered to go home with him to get the movie. He refused and said he’d be back with it. Then, he returned all kinds of pissed off. I don’t even know what to say to that, because first of all, he had no reason to have to drive to his house and get it and come back. My mom offered to stop there under two occasions. Second, he didn’t live that far away. Third, we were really wondering if he had any intentions on giving it back at all, and we decided he didn’t. Most likely, he was going to use it as long as he could to con me into getting together with him, and keep conveniently “forgetting” it each time. Classy.

Oh, and when I brought up the whole Chuck Norris movie night, my mom didn’t even know anything about it. Turns out, he had met her friend Charlene before and conversed with her, so he just decided to pull one out of his ass and see if I would believe it. Charlene is a Chuck Norris freak. It takes about two seconds of knowing her to find that out. There was no Chuck Norris night, which I figured, but since I wasn’t really having a party, I didn’t know if maybe she and Charlene had decided to have one and didn’t tell me yet. But no, they hadn’t. She had no idea what he was talking about whatsoever. She was officially creeped out by him, too.

She also brought up that he told her he was between two houses, after she literally showed him every single house in his price range. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Which is what a realtor does, but she had yet to have anyone see every single house in their price range and not make a decision. He told my mom he wanted to bring his mom and his uncle to see the two houses again on Sunday, so he would call her Thursday to set up a time once he spoke with them. From there, he would decide what house to buy.

I told my mom he would never call her. I knew he never intended on buying a house. It was just that feeling. Sure enough, Thursday rolls around and she doesn’t hear from him. She gives him a call Friday morning and he doesn’t answer. She blows it off, but I was angry. I shouldn’t have been. I should have let it go, but at this point I just wanted him to know that we weren’t buying his absolute bullshit, and I knew the game he was trying to run.

I texted him and nicely asked him what time he and my mom were going to look at houses on Sunday with his mom and uncle. He said that they weren’t going to look at houses. I asked him why he never bothered to at least tell my mom. He claimed he had tried to call her and he didn’t get her. I asked if he left a message and he said no. Now, folks, this is, as you have guessed, total bullshit. He was dumb enough to tell me a time that he tried to call her. Both of us happened to be home, sitting here with her phone on the coffee table in front of us and it never rang. Surprise, he lied.

I called him on it and he basically admitted he had no intentions of going on Sunday. Duh. We know, but we just wanted to see if he’d admit it. This is the point where I deleted him off of Facebook, blocked him off of IM, and wrote him off totally in my book as a decent person. It’s bad enough he tried his games on me several times, but when he starts wasting my mom’s time, it’s on. I’m just done. I had no reason to attempt to be polite to someone who was being a complete jerk to my mom, and had been a complete jerk to me for several weeks. I was done.

My mom tried to be ever hopeful and called him a few more times about setting up another day. Of course he never called her back. This wouldn’t be important, except the saga continues.

Several weeks of peace and no fear that he’s going to show up at my house in the middle of the night go by. I’m sitting here stupidly thinking he finally understands I don’t want him here, although I’ve told him that a zillion times, and the whole telling him I’m done with him / deleting him off my Facebook has actually worked and he gets it. No, no he does not.

I was contacted by a friend who was also mutual friends with him. This wasn’t weird or anything considering that I had gone to the same high school with him, although I didn’t know him because I was only in high school for a few weeks before I got very sick and ended up being pulled out to be home schooled. I still had friends from middle school who knew him. No big.

That’s when she suddenly asks me when I’m finally going to go with Mike to buy a house. I had no idea what she was talking about, nor had I brought up Mike, because it wasn’t worth venting my issues with him at her. Why would I do that? I had no reason.

She proceeds to tell me that he is interesting in buying a house off of my mom and that I haven’t called him back about going to see the house with him so I could help him pick one. He was bugging her about it for some reason. This was news to me, considering what had happened just a few weeks earlier. Plus, I never agreed to this, nor had anything been said. I didn’t say anything to her and let her talk, only to find out that apparently he didn’t want to buy a house until he knew I liked it. And he was upset that I hadn’t called him yet, because he’d be very mad at me if someone else bought the house while he was waiting for me. She was also under the impression that we were dating. Say what now? My reaction exactly.

Needless to say, I was floored. I had no idea what was going on. I also was not about to call him, because I suspected this was another ploy for him to get me to get together with him. Plus, like any sensible person who had it with someone being a creep, I deleted his number. He was obviously being a creep again. Why else would he tell one of our mutual friends, the one that the last I heard he was angry with and was “done talking to,” but knew I talked to, this? Why? He sold her an entire story that he was still interested in buying a house and basically it was my fault he hadn’t yet.

In the next few days, I ended up finding out from several other girls who knew him, and also knew me, that he had done practically the same thing to them as well, only minus the whole buying a house thing. He played other games fitting to their situation on them. I hadn’t told them what he had done to me, but instead I was suddenly impaled with stories about how he started harassing other girls in this same sense; sending them non stop texta, trying to con them into getting together with him, just showing up at their houses, etc.

I suspect the friend who told me about the house thing, had brought it up what he was doing to these other girls, and in turn, they decided to tell me their stories, because I didn’t bring it up with them. The reason I suspect this happened is because that same friend also proceeded to also tell me an almost identical story. I never knew this. What made her tell me is when I was trying to figure out what she was talking about when she was telling me that he was waiting for me to call him. She told me she suspected he was trying to pull something and came out with it.

On top of that, I started to unravel even more lies he had told me. Over the two weeks when he was texting me consistently, I started to pick up on a bunch of lies. Apparently, he couldn’t remember what he was lying about. It was stupid stuff, too; stuff he should never have to lie about. That’s when I realized they were situational lies. What do I mean by that? Let me explain.

At one time when we were just getting to know each other, we had talked about doing something on a Saturday. He told me that on Saturdays he was “scheduled to work” and he “had to go in” so he wouldn’t be able to do anything. Then, during those two weeks, he scheduled an appointment with my mom on a Saturday. When I brought up him having to work on Saturdays, as he had told me before, he told me that he “never had to work Saturday,” and that “working Saturdays was optional.”

Obviously, this was a situational lie. When we were getting to know each other, he told me he had to work because he wasn’t willing to miss the hours to hang out with me. Fair enough and I don’t blame him. But later, when he wanted to cling to me like white on rice, he told what I would assume to be the truth, since, even though he knew I wasn’t going with him that Saturday, he went with my mom anyway. So either that was the truth, or he called off work to go house hunting.

I caught him in at least a dozen of these lies. I couldn’t understand it for the life of me, but he was sounding less and less appealing. If he was lying to me about stupid things like that, what else was he lying to me about? And the lies just kept coming.

Another thing he lied about; do you all remember the story about the census taker midget that his co-worker’s mentally challenged nephew thought was a gnome and kidnapped him? After reading that story, a Canadian friend of mine contacted me and let me know that this was an actual, published story that happened in her own home town. Only the person wasn’t a census taker. I can not, not, for the life of me, remember what she said he was.

When Mike told the story, his co-worker’s nephew lived in the area. I will never know if Mike saw the news story online and didn’t think anyone else did, so he decided to make up the elaborate lie about how that happened to someone he worked with, or if his co-worker lied to him and he spread it around. Either way, I am so sorry that I lied to you. I mean, the story still happened, just not here and not to anyone I knows acquaintances.

Quite frankly, this whole thing saddens me and makes me a little sick to think about. I really trusted Mike, and then all of this happened. I have a feeling it’s not over, either, but I really hope it is.

As we all also know, there are two sides to ever story. Part of me would like to know his, because no matter what way I slice it, I don’t see how this story doesn’t come out creepy. All I know is what he said to me, how I responded, and what continued to happen after that. The rest is beyond me. As I said before, even if I do hear his side, there’s nothing that can be done to repair the friendship. He was still a creep, whether he realized it or not. I don’t know how he couldn’t have, or how he thought all of these games were okay.

Also, to tell our one friend that he was waiting for me to call him, he definitely doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. And obviously, having done this to other girls, he doesn’t think it’s creepy. He’s done this to other girls, one girl even telling me he “took advantage of her.” This made me more glad that I didn’t let him come over just to shut him up, but my gut knew better.

Part of me sincerely wants to contact him and tell him how creepy his behavior is, but I know that will do no good. I would never want to do it to be facetious, but I wonder if he sincerely doesn’t know and every other girl, like me, just wants away from him as fast as possible as doesn’t care to tell him. Then again, after the games he’s played, I don’t know how he couldn’t know. If you weren’t doing something skeevy, you would have no need to play games on purpose, and he obviously felt he had the need to do so.

What I’m saying, girls, is please just watch your backs. This story is a perfect example of how someone who seems like a great friend, a great man, a great person, can turn creepy so quickly. One nice gesture, such as letting someone stay over your house so they don’t fall asleep and wreck on the way home, may not mean that to them, even though you’ve made it clear that was the only reason they were allowed to stay. In this case, it was decided by the other party that there was more to it than that, and it spiraled.

You never know what kind of person someone is, or what is going on in their mind. What you think you made clear, someone else could interpret as something else, and refuse to hear the truth by choice. The more I think back on some of his texts, especially the vacation ones, the more I think he truly believed after that night we were going out. However, I have gone over the texts time and time again, and I told him repeatedly we were just friends and I wasn’t interested in dating him. At one point I told him I was interested in someone else, which was true, and he seemed to get upset. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but I sure do now.

So watch for the little signs, and the little things. Be careful. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s not. It’s okay to put something off that doesn’t feel right, because you know what, that’s usually when someone’s true colors show and you’ll find your answer as to why your gut was churning with anxiety, sick about something just being off, even if you couldn’t put your finger on it.

If you can’t put something off, protect yourself. Whether it’s with mace, just in case, or, my personal favorite, arm yourself with a pack of friends if you must get together with the person. Be smart about it. When your gut tells you something, listen. Always, always listen.

I did, in this case, even though I truly thought I was the one being stupid about things, and misinterpreting things. He was just lonely, right? Maybe, but even if that’s still true, I can’t help but wonder if he would have “taken advantage of me” like he had with my other friend had I let him come here. I also can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I would have said no and tried to push him away...home alone with him. If I have to wonder, it’s proof enough that my gut was right. You gut is always right.

Confidential to Zoe - Okay, I am going to totally email you on Facebook something that I ask to keep private between the two of us. When I do, you will understand why I am emailing you about this specific comment. I just want you to know that I'm sorry for all you've been through with your friend Mike, and I completely understand how you feel. Sometimes, no matter what you say, guys hear what they want to hear. I hope that things get better and he learns to understand and accept your stance, or realize that he was never a good friend to you if all he had were other intentions in mind, and move on. I know that sounds so harsh, but sometimes it's for the best. I agree with you; honesty is best. I have so much respect for you for having learned that at such a young age where most people want to be everything they are not. This will carry you far in love and life.

I really hope you feel better soon! I will come sing campfire songs to your illness if necessary. That normally chases them away. Nothing, not even colds, can withstand a marathon of campfire songs. You are keeping me company in spirit and I appreciate it so much. You are an amazing girl! I love your blog. I love the pictures and the simplicity of it, and if you were to tell a story, I would love that, too! Maybe a story you think you are not telling so well, everyone else will love. I don't fancy myself a storyteller; let me just put it to you that way.

2 comments:

carrie said...

Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something. I was having this conversation, whilst having a Back to the Future marathon, about whether or not our future is set. About... if someone from the future came and told us what we were doing then, we could easily mess that up by walking in to a busy road. So, I have to think that the future isn't set in stone; that nothing is preordained.

I never read about your father... I'm sorry that you feel that way about him. My relationship with my own father isn't brilliant, but I wouldn't go to your lengths. I should perhaps try and flick back through your extensive blog to find out some more! No complaints here about many entries :)

Its great that they've finally found a diagnosis! And I am sooo incredibly happy that its not life-threatening at all. That would make me so sad. <3 Though I cannae understand why you have to wait until October. Surely if its his wife...?

I really don't know what to say about this Mike character. He seems really creepy, possessive, and very obsessed. Its not really the right time for humour, is it? But in the most recent of My Family episodes in the new series, this man gets obsessed with Susan, and has a shrine of her in his house. Now that would certainly creep me out, if your Mike had that! Very not-good.

Truthfully, I've never seen Supernatural. I've only just started watching Life on Mars (the original British version with John Simm!), as far as regular TV shows go. I used to love Blood Ties, and then I turned in to an avid Moonlight fan, but aside from Eastenders and My Family I don't regularily watch any shows! Unless I have completely the wrong idea about Supernatural. What is it even about?!

I'm writing a story now, as it happens! I'm recovered, more or less; I have a complete aversion to eating anything right now, but I'm not stupid and I have been munching on lots of fruit, and easy-to-eat stuff, healthy foods :D

carrie said...

Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something. I was having this conversation, whilst having a Back to the Future marathon, about whether or not our future is set. About... if someone from the future came and told us what we were doing then, we could easily mess that up by walking in to a busy road. So, I have to think that the future isn't set in stone; that nothing is preordained.

I never read about your father... I'm sorry that you feel that way about him. My relationship with my own father isn't brilliant, but I wouldn't go to your lengths. I should perhaps try and flick back through your extensive blog to find out some more! No complaints here about many entries :)

Its great that they've finally found a diagnosis! And I am sooo incredibly happy that its not life-threatening at all. That would make me so sad. <3 Though I cannae understand why you have to wait until October. Surely if its his wife...?

I really don't know what to say about this Mike character. He seems really creepy, possessive, and very obsessed. Its not really the right time for humour, is it? But in the most recent of My Family episodes in the new series, this man gets obsessed with Susan, and has a shrine of her in his house. Now that would certainly creep me out, if your Mike had that! Very not-good.

Truthfully, I've never seen Supernatural. I've only just started watching Life on Mars (the original British version with John Simm!), as far as regular TV shows go. I used to love Blood Ties, and then I turned in to an avid Moonlight fan, but aside from Eastenders and My Family I don't regularily watch any shows! Unless I have completely the wrong idea about Supernatural. What is it even about?!

Am glad you got your dvds back!

I'm writing a story now, as it happens! I'm recovered, more or less; I have a complete aversion to eating anything right now, but I'm not stupid and I have been munching on lots of fruit, and easy-to-eat stuff, healthy foods :D