CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Wizards Have Come For My Mom

Just a short update on a couple of things that happened today and were too cute to not share. You know, just in case I don't get around to posting later. What's sad is that I have blogs written up to post. I just need to do the actual proofreading on them and haven't been up for it. My brain; not computing.

Today my mom called up a guy she used to work with just to see how things were going. She was given an ultimatum from the company almost two years ago. They gave her a buyout option and she either took it, or wait a few months until they did away with her position and find herself without a job, or a buyout. She did what she had to do.

This being said, she just wanted to check up on her friend and see if he still had a job, and get all the gossip. (He's on night turn now. Most of the other people she worked with, including bosses, have been rifted out of their positions, and it's not likely the rest of them will have a job soon, either. We're talking about people in all different aspects and positions of the job, not just the one she worked in.) What they ended up talking about was the lottery, and how when my mom won it she was going to take her friend and move to Hawaii. The way they got into this isn't important, because if you've read prior stories about my mom, you would understand this makes perfect sense just because it doesn't.

From here it led into a conversation about how everyone would pitch in for lottery tickets each week in hopes that they would win and be able to split the money. Back in the day when my mom worked there, she would pitch in, too. She asked her friend what the most was that they ever won since they were doing this long before she was working in the same office as them, and have continued to do it.

They had won $7. That's right. After years of doing the weekly lottery, the most they've ever won has been $7. And keep in mind that that isn't each. Oh no. The $7 had to be split between all four people. I'm sadly thinking that maybe my mom's chances of winning the lottery might be better than the four of them pitching in on a ticket. After all these years, I don't think Lady Luck is on their side. Beyond that, my mom's friend pointed out that when she wins the lottery part of that money is his just on pure standards alone, and as a consolation prize for never winning after all these years.

Too cute.

It also happens to be in the high 80's here today, and is far too hot to think about cooking. Especially when you don't have air conditioning. I ordered a pizza and was waiting until I could go and pick it up, since Pizza Hut does not deliver where I live. While doing this, The Wizards of Waverly Place came on. I had a few e-mails to check, so when my mom came in and asked if she could switch the channel to see the news and weather, I thought nothing of it. When she got the weather and urgently switched the channel back to The Wizards of Waverly Place, that caught my attention.

My mom watches the Disney Channel, but she hasn't been real fond of the shows they've been coming out with lately. I guess I missed the memo where she announced her liking towards The Wizards of Waverly Place, although I knew she liked Selena Gomez. None of these reasons were why she changed the channel.

In this certain episode there was a kid who had been raised by giants, but being as he was short, he wondered who his birth parents were and wanted to meet them. Alex was trying to help him behind everyone's back so that his parents didn't find out and become upset about this. My mom changed the channel because she "really had to know who his real parents were and what they looked like." Her words, not mine.

Mom, I am amused.

No comments: