CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Dog Likes to Put His Toys On the Coffee Table

But that’s really not the point of this blog.

I wanted to update everyone on my surgery and the ins and outs of it. I’m not going to lie. I have been online since my surgery, and I’ve been up and going pretty well, all things considered, but I just couldn’t bring myself to write this up in a blog.

My heart has been heavy over the past couple of days. I’m realizing that there’s people I have in my life just because I don’t know how to let go of them. They are not the same people I became close to, fell in love with, but now I’ve fallen out of love with them. There’s still a part of me that will always want them to be close to me, but near to me is not where they can be.

I have two letters I wrote, each to different people, and maybe one day I will post them on here as open letters. They’re some of my best writing, and maybe it will help those of you wondering what my novel is going to be like, or what kind of writing I can really do, understand it all a little better. Ultimately they are my letters; so it is my choice. One is so fitting to my novel that I’m considering using it for that, but also wondering in how bad of taste that would be.

Anyway, back to the surgery. If I got into all of the above, I would collapse in tears before I got much further, and that’s not cool for anyone.

As you all know, I went in early Monday morning for Septoplasty. I had a deviated septum and normally I wouldn’t worry about getting it fixed, except I couldn’t breathe or snot out of the one side of my nose entirely. There, I said it; snot.

I was pretty nervous and had read a lot about this procedure only to find that there were such mixed reviews on it that they were no help. I don’t like going into something when I don’t really know what I’m getting into, so this was no exception. The early morning drive in was scary, but was even more scary was the hour and a half wait in a hospital bed with an IV in my hand. That was the worst. Just waiting until they come and get you to take you in, because your mind plays a billion tricks on you.

I tried to calm down by watching some biography on the Simpson sisters, and an inside thing about Vegas; two things I love. I also spoke with the anesthesiologist because they were knocking me out cold and I tend to have issues when they put tubes down my throat, which they’d have to do. We got that straightened out, as well as the issue of my low cortisol.

I knew going into this that the procedure was slightly risky. I do have some issues with my heart, but we got clearance for me to do this procedure. What I didn’t think would end up being my biggest feat was the low cortisol. Although I did tell the anesthesiologist about it, it wasn’t until then and there with him in the room that I was told this could cause a problem, something that, in light of the heart issue, I had not thought about. He said he would make sure to give me some steroids and it would all be okay.

It was not all okay, however, I don’t necessarily think that was his fault. Had I known what an issue the low cortisol was going to be, I would have hands down not had the procedure done until this was further taken care of. Let’s just say that I had a horrifically hard time coming out of anesthesia and leave it at that, because in all honesty I never wish to retype just how horrific this event was. I just can not go there.

And the day and night that followed were far, far worse than anything I had anticipated. Apparently, the extra stress that was put on my body by the anesthesia, the surgery, and the packing I had to have in my nose for the first day, was too much for my body to take without the proper amount of cortisol to run it. I was freezing in eighty some degree weather, going into little seizures and spasms, and was disgustingly sick in my stomach, to put it all rather nicely.

By the time I made it to the doctors on Tuesday to get the packing out, I was literally crying like a baby in his office. Then, while he was taking the packing out, I had to be a bleeder, but I expected it. I spent the next hour in the office crying while we tried to get my nose to stop bleeding. It was a bad scene.

The doctor, though, is the most awesome doctor ever. He felt really badly that I felt that bad, and also said that even with the low cortisol, he wouldn’t have anticipated my body to have reacted the way that it did. He felt horrible and told me that hopefully, with the packing out, I should feel a lot better because now I would be able to breathe out of my nose, so that would take a lot of stress off my body. Let me tell you, it was like instant relief.

The fun part about this was that I wasn’t really bothered by the fact that I couldn’t breathe. I was one of the few people who the packing did not bother. I wasn’t all that miserable with it on, because I was miserable in some many other ways. Little did I know that although I wasn’t consciously bothered by it, the doctor was right, not being able to breathe had put that much extra stress on my body, because once it was out, I began to feel a billion and seven times better. And that’s low balling it.

With the packing out, things were really looking up. I had some pain in my nose and sinus pain while it drained, oh, and I was really tired, but I could deal with that. That was totally fine, as long as I didn’t feel sick like I had. The drainage down my throat of the blood and mucus was a little gross, but I made sure to eat every couple of hours and it seemed to absorb it from my stomach, so that was all kinds of happy.

All in all, it’s been six days and I don’t feel at all that bad. Sure, my nose is a little sore and I do still have slight drainage and some sinus pain. I’m a little more tired than usual, but not much. Over the counter Tylenol takes care of my pain, and has since day one. The doctor did a fantastic job. The pain in my nose was never a problem. It wasn’t any more pain than I was used to having with my sinuses being blocked. The doctor had told me that my nose was far worse than he thought after he got up it, and he still did a fantastic job.

The moral of the story, had I not had the low cortisol / heart issues, I would have been one hundred percent fine with the surgery. It was not a hard surgery, my complaints post surgery never had anything to do with my nose, because I simply was not in that much pain in that aspect and still am not. I would do it again if I had to, as long as my cortisol was fixed, because until then, I am never going totally under any kind of anesthesia again.

Oh, and just for future reference, all is well and good as long as you don’t touch your nose, etc, which is common sense. However, my mom’s cat thought it would be fun to head butt me. That was not cool. Ouch. And also (I know this is gross), flies really want to know what’s going on up there since they smell blood. Just eww.

I did get a good picture, though. I realize that this is probably a really embarrassing picture to put online, but it’s too funny not to. This picture was from my first night home and I was miserable. (Can you tell?) I encourage you all to laugh at my misery. Even now, just six days out, I think it’s hilarious.


I also took some other really cute and fun pictures to add to the blog over the past few days. Please keep in mind that these were taken on my Blackberry, so the resolution isn’t great. This blog needs some cute after a story like this, though, right?

This first picture is of my cat Booger-Booger. He got his name because we went to adopt him and when I picked him up for the first time, he sneezed all over me twice. His real name is Riley, but I don’t think we’ve every called him that. Anyway, he is sleeping upside down with his little front paw over his eyes. Everyone all together now. Aww...


This next one is of Greta Hayley and Stitch. Stitch was named after the Disney character because when we first got him he liked to get under the couch and crawl upside down over the length of it. He kind of named himself. In this picture, Greta is both looking at the camera, and hugging Stitch. I came into the living room and they were just sleeping like this. If this isn’t cat and dog love, I don’t know what is. Again...aww...


This next picture is actually a set of two pictures. The first one is a full view and the second a close up, one in which I promise I did not alter, but I understand how it looks photoshopped because of the weird quality to it from my Blackberry. I figured I needed to show the full view first, or you all would be like, what the heck is going on? You’re still going to ask that, but let me just clear it up for you. This is Greta Hayley’s favorite position to lay in



This now concludes the blog. I don’t know why I felt it necessary to announce that, but I will try to get back into the post surgery swing of things. I am having a little trouble doing this, and am told I’ll probably feel a little off for two to three weeks. I have some blogs written up and a ton to write about, so we’ll see how it goes. In the meantime, please check out It’s Traffic Time. Feel free to follow the instructions and e-mail me your own story to be put up on the blog. Really, I’ll love you forever in a very non creepy and platonic way.

No comments: