CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Cassadee Gives Bad Advice

I don't know how many of you have ever tried using Craigslist to sell something. Let me just give you a piece of advice. If you ever, even for a minute, consider posting something on Craigslist because you need the money, just smack yourself over your head until it seems like a bad idea again. Because I know the initial thought that comes to mind when you think of posting something on Craigslist is that it's not a spiffy idea. Go back to that, my friends. Go back to that.

Those of you who have been reading for awhile know that I've had my share of stupidity with Craigslist. I promised myself I would never torture myself by posting anything else on there again. Then today happened.

I have no money. Being forbidden by doctors to work for three years will do that to you. And, as you all know, Christmas is coming up. I was going to help my old boss hook up his wireless printer. Since I am crafting all of my presents this year, I don't need a lot of money and what he would have paid me would have done it. However, he went and figured it out himself. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for him. He's a fifty something Polish guy who struggles with English after twenty five years in this country. I'm glad he's got his tech on. But now I have to figure out what to do to get a little bit of money to buy the small amount of supplies I need. Enter Craigslist.

I put up a dress, some Hallmark collectible ornaments and a Twilight poster, thinking at least one thing would sell and I would have enough money to not have to bother with attempting to sell the rest of the stuff. I just needed one thing to sell. On top of that, I also put a Real Estate Exam Prep Book up for my mom. It's been less than eight hours, and let me explain the fun I've had so far.

First, I got an email about the dress. What I've learned from posting on Craigslist before is that you can usually tell exactly how things are going to go based on an email. This email wasn't so bad. It simply said "Picture please. Thanks." No questions, nothing. I knew the person was just a gawker. I haven't heard back from them; they responded almost immediately after posting, so if they were truly interested I should have. Judging by the email address, it was a young, curious girl. However, I could be wrong. This didn't annoy me so much except I had to iron the dress for the pictures and wasn't in the mood. That was my own fault. This person may still get back to me. I won't hold my breath, though.

The second email brought the fun. I have my location posted, naturally. The town I live in is little known, so I put the known city closest to where I live. I also plan on meeting someone, because having someone who emailed you on Craigslist know where you live just seems like a horrible, awful idea of epic proportions. Naturally, this had to go wrong somewhere.

I received an email with this. "Location?" Only it actually had the name of said location, and that's all it said. Readers, I was stumped. I didn't even know how to answer that. I assumed the person didn't know where that was, so I put the next closest known city where I'd be willing to meet them. But seriously, how do you even go about explaining that to someone when that's all they put. I have not an inkling of a clue where they are coming from to even tell them what direction to head in, or where it would be for them. And besides that, correct me if I'm wrong but you can put your city into Google Maps, along with another city, and it will give you not only directions, but the approximated amount of time it takes to get there. I do it all the time. Wouldn't common sense dictate you do that, or at least tell the person the general area you're coming from so they have a snowball's chance in hell of directing you toward the area or giving you some idea where it is? Ah, people.

But, my friends, it gets better. Oh yes, better. And by better, I mean worse. I got a response to the ad for my mom's book. Here is the headline of the ad, word for word, minus the city.

Pennsylvania Real Estate Exam Prep Book - $12

Naturally, I got this email, also word for word.

is it fir real estate agent exam? thanks

That was a copy and paste, folks. And no, I can't make this shit up.

No comments: