CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

So Very Spring

There's two things you should all know about me. I am sew crafty and so terribly punny. That being said, I would like to share my latest adventures in crafting with all of you. With spring in full swing, though it hardly feel like it here, I thought I'd do a special feature to get you all in the springtime mood.

As with every spring, everything starts to bloom, the warm air feels swell, and crap needs cleaned, especially if it's outside crap that's sat through a long winter of neglect. In our case, it's our covered porch and all of the lawn furniture that belongs on it. This year, we had two main problems when scrubbing everything down. The first one problem was the butterflies that hang on the lattice of our porch. Some of the paint was chipping off of them and, in general, they were quite dull. Never being one to know a dull butterfly, I decided to spruce them up a bit. There are three separate ones, each featuring a shot from the front and from above so that you can see the hints of color that were intertwined to make these butterflies pop. Just for the hell of it, I'm going to name the butterflies, because I wouldn't be me if I stopped naming inanimate objects now.

This little baby butterfly shall be Brooke. She looks like a Brooke, right? Right? (Amuse me. You know you want to.)


This butterfly looks more like a Julianne to me. Sweet and pretty.


Last but not least, we have Serinda. If any of you have caught on to the show I'm referencing, then high five and cookies all around. Only, I don't actually have cookies, so they're pretend cookies. Sorry for the false advertisement.


Next up, we have this very lovely chair. This chair has been a bone of contention for awhile now. Mr. or Mrs. chair here had some old, worn out, stained, ugly cushions that had seen better days, but whose insides were in fine shape. The obvious answer to this was to get new cushions, but after years of looking at all times of the year, we realized that we'd have to harvest one kidney each to pay for them. Have you ever priced those suckers? They're uber expensive. For that price, they better clean my house too, but I digress.

Not able to take the cushions anymore, even after scrubbing them until the neighbors began to think that instead of the crazy cat lady, I was the crazy cushion lady, I decided our only option to save them was to cover them with fabric. That was, if we could get the right kind of fabric cheap enough. I set off to Joanne Fabrics (Who I am not associated with, by the way), and started going through their sale fabric. Since they were having a half off sale on the sale fabric (The irony of this was not lost on me.), I was able to find an outdoor fabric for three dollars a yard. For that price, I was able to get enough fabric to cover the two cushions and make a matching tablecloth, all for just $15. That was less than half of the price of one store bought cushion. Win!

Our chair was primarily the color it is in the picture, only the paint was old and worn, and it was cracked and faded. I threw on two coats of Mod Podge and covered it with some outdoor paint. Then I added the newly made chair cushions and VOILA! We had a chair that looked nearly brand new. And, as I'm sure you can see from the picture, this chair and its cushions have been animal approved. They're already adorned with hair and bunched up from the animals making themselves comfortable. Rawr.

The last thing I did for the porch was the tablecloth. I swore at least twelve times and threatened suicide at least thirteen. The tablecloth was an easy sew, but because the tablecloth was so big around, it took me forever to sew the whole way around it. I debated both eating and taking a nap in between sewing it. I even ran out of thread at one time and had to rewind the bobbin. I was happy with the finished product, though. I just didn't feel like ironing it after all of that sewing. Lazy for the win.


No comments: