CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dolls of the Night

You all, I have two things to share with you. One is very exciting news, and the other is clarification on the last post. Let's start with the latter since it's probably less exciting. Then we'll get to things that veer away from the supernatural.

Apparently I am a dumbass and need to clear something up. I had put in the last post about my spirit girl saying that her son had to go live with sister. That is what she said, but I took it to mean she had a son and was saying he after that. That's not the case. She referred to her daughter as her sun, as in "her sunshine, her world." It was her nickname for her. Her words, not mine. She also referred to her as she when she said "she has to go live with my sister." I, however, misheard her. She didn't hesitate to correct me, I just hesitated to correct the post because I didn't really have a chance to until now. So basically I got told. By a dead person. Not so sure how I feel about that.

The second bit of news I have to share is accompanied by a short story. But let's be honest, when is news I have ever not? Miss Zoe and I were talking a little while back and she had mentioned about writing on FanFiction.net. This is something I had never done or attempted. With the idea in my head and a little persuasion from some friends, I decided to go right on ahead and write a story to post on there. I realize I'm supposed to be working on my novel, however, I don't think taking time to write a fan fiction is a bad thing for two reasons.

One, it gets me out of my head and frustration and reminds me that writing is fun, and to write for myself, too. Sometimes with working on the novel I forget that and tell myself I have to get it done and it's all work and no play. I started out writing for fun and I need to go back to that. I think it will cure a lot of my issues of stumbling all over this novel. Two, it seriously challenges me. You guys, I didn't realize how hard it would be to write a story based on characters that are already developed. I'm used to making up my own. Which also poses the problem of having to write in third person as opposed to first. Ah, adjustments. If anything, I can only learn from this and I'm excited to do it! I think it will help me grow as a writer and make my novel even better. The story, however, does not reflect what my novel will be like, or the narrative in which it will be written.

It really only took me about two seconds to be persuaded to write a fan fiction once I saw there was a Criminal Minds category. It's like I was attracted to it and just couldn't help myself. Really, that just sounds dirtier than I intended it to. I have this whole thing intricately mapped out and plotted, so if I can nail all the characters I think it will hopefully be a delightful story. That sounded inexplicably dirty, too, and I'm not sure how delightful a crime story can be. Work with me on this.

So, without further ado, I present to you the first chapter of Dolls of the Night.

No comments: